How To Use A Rolling Walker Properly
Rolling Walker or Wheeled walker can be a game-changer for the seniors, if they are recovering from surgery or just having problems because of age.
A good walker helps to increase the mobility for seniors and a rollator (aka rolling walker) will help a person with walking challenges or disabilities to move around easily and safely.
It may seems like using a rolling walker is easy but in actual it is not. It is known that for person with mobility challenges, a rolling walker is more flexible and easier to maneuver than a traditional walker. Because it provides better control and more support than a cane or normal walker.
Check out the safety tips below and it will help you to use the rolling walker in better way without getting hurt.
How To Use A Rolling Walker Properly?
No matter what you are using you always need to be careful while using it and when it comes to use a walker you need to be extra careful. Because a little mistake can give you bad injury, but don’t worry below we are sharing the way proper ways to use a rolling walker.
There are four main activities that you are going to perform with a walker and these are: Walking, Turning, Sitting Down and Standing Up. You can follow the guidelines below to avoid any bad incident while using a rolling walker.
It is highly recommended to seek advice from your doctor or therapist for your unique situation.
Note: If the walker you purchased came with instruction manual then please spend your time to read it. By doing that you will be able to know more about your walker and it’s functions and controls. Keep in mind not all the models are same and they come with unique features, warnings, and safety features.
How to walk with a walker
Now don’t forget this is your first time with a walker and in starting it may feel awkward and tough to walk with a walker, but don’t you quit because it’s all normal.
You can easily control the walker with a little practice and once you learn how to do that it will all natural to walk with walker. Check the process how you can walk with a walker:-
- First without taking any step place the walker in front of you, about a foot ahead of you.
- After doing that make sure you are balanced, stable and standing just between the walker.
- Now grip the handle loosely near the brake levers and gently roll the walker ahead of you as you walk.
- Make sure your steps are even if not then shorten the longer step.
- Maintain the balance and walk normally, keep most of your weight on your legs.
- Keep the walker close to you and control the speed of the walker with brakes.
- If you are in kitchen or bathroom use counters for support and keep the walker within reach.
How to turn with walker
To turn with walker you need to stay within the width of the walker. Keep the walker in front of you and take small steps to turn your body and walker will naturally move with you.
Make sure not to twist your back because it may cause back issues. Again just keep the walker in front of you and turn your whole body and walker will move naturally with you. Don’t twist your back only to turn.
How to sit on rolling walker
Now mostly rolling walker come with seat which you can use to sit anywhere and anytime. But sitting on a walker seat is little tricky and you need to follow the steps below to avoid any serious or funny moment.
- Before sitting push the walker up against a wall or any other heavy object if you see any. It will add stability and walker cannot slide away from under you.
- Now lock the brakes before sitting down to walker movement.
- Turn around and make sure you are steady and balanced and your legs are close to the seat.
- Put your hands on the handles for balance and gently sit down.
How to stand up
- Check if the brakes are still locked if you not then lock.
- Come forward and sit on the edge of the sit.
- Place your feet under you so can stand properly.
- Now lean forward and put your weight on the feet.
- You can put your one hand on the handle and one on the seat for balanced assistance.
- Put your weight evenly so you don’t move the walker or tip it over.
- Do not move forward until your are balanced.
- Now slowly turn around and align yourself center with walker.
- When you are ready disengage the brakes and walk.
Rolling Walker Safety Tips
It is always good to follow some safety guidelines to avoid any bad incident. Let us share with you the best rolling walker safety tips which you can follow:-
- Always stay inside the walker and your chest should be facing the walker all the time.
- Make sure to keep the walker’s wheels on the ground all the time. It will help you to maintain the balance.
- Do not let the walker go far from you, keep the walker close to you even you are taking longer steps. The far the walker is from you, the more risk of falling increases.
- Always keep your eyes on the track and avoid all the things that can make walker stop.
- Take shorten steps always, never hurry and take longer steps.
- Never lift the walker or twist your upper body to turn. Check the steps above on how to turn.
- Use walker’s brakes to control the walker and it’s speed. Keep the walker close to you.
In the end we suggest you to read the instructions that came with the walker. You will learn about all the controls there and never put all of your weight on the walker. Instruction manual will help you to learn about warnings, so spend your time to read that.